Search Form
Now choose a category »

Public Statements

Dalrymple Seeks 90-Day Extension for FEMA Temporary Housing Program in Minot

Press Release

By:
Date:
Location: Bismarck, ND

Gov. Jack Dalrymple today requested that the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) extend by 90 days a temporary housing program established to aid Minot and Ward County residents displaced by the historic 2011 Mouse River Flood.

FEMA's temporary housing program for Minot-area residents impacted by flooding is scheduled to expire June 24. In a letter to Doug Gore, FEMA's Region 8 Acting Administrator, Dalrymple said the deadline should be extended 90 days to give residents who remain in FEMA's temporary housing units more time to transition to permanent housing.

"The 2011 Mouse River flood created extraordinary hardships on residents in the Souris River Basin and the on-going disaster response must also be extraordinary," Dalrymple said. "The extension would give residents who remain displaced by the flood more time to transition into permanent housing."

The North Dakota Legislature is currently considering legislation to expand and extend a state loan program for residents who remain displaced by flooding. If approved, Senate Bill 2132 would make low-interest loans available to flood victims so that they can purchase FEMA housing units, purchase other permanent housing or to repair damaged homes. The Legislature also is considering a proposal that would provide $1.5 million to help flood-impacted communities transition residents from temporary housing to permanent housing.

At its peak, the Mouse River flood swamped 4,100 homes and other structures in Minot and Ward County. About 2,000 Minot-area households relied on FEMA's housing units for temporary shelter after the flood. Since then, 1,678 households have transitioned to permanent housing while 350 continue to rent FEMA's mobile housing units.


Source:
Skip to top
Back to top