Gov. Jack Dalrymple today met with Fargo and Cass County officials to review National Weather Service (NWS) data and preparations for potential spring flooding along the Red River. Last week, the NWS announced there is a 50 percent chance the river would reach 38 feet, which would surpass the fifth-highest crest of 37.34 feet.
City and county officials discussed preparedness and plans for protecting Fargo and Cass County against spring flooding. Dalrymple said the state was committed to providing resources and funding to support the area in its flood-fighting efforts.
"Fargo and Cass County have the best flood-fighting teams in the nation and we heard today that they are prepared and ready to battle spring flooding along the Red River," Dalrymple said. "The state is on alert and will remain in close communication with city and county officials, ensuring that state resources are available to support Fargo and Cass County in their fight against spring flooding."
Dalrymple was joined by Fargo Mayor Dennis Walaker; Sen. John Hoeven; Col. Michael Price, commander of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers' St. Paul District; Maj. Gen. David Sprynczynatyk, North Dakota adjutant general; State Engineer Todd Sando; and other federal, state and local officials.
According to local officials, the city and county are on alert and employees are reviewing plans that were developed for the 2011 flood. Fargo currently has 750,000 sandbags, with plans to fill 500,000 more. Officials are working with local schools and businesses to organize volunteers for sandbagging operations, which are scheduled to begin April 3. Fargo officials plan to open an emergency operations center on April 2.
Following the meeting, Dalrymple joined federal, state and local officials on a tour of the area, seeing firsthand current snow conditions, as well as Fargo's dike system and the preparedness measures in place to protect the city and county.