Strengthening the middle class starts with investing in our public schools. Karen's plan for our schools includes:
* Return local control to our communities, because parents, teachers and principals along with our local school boards know what's best for Central Florida schools.
* End high-stakes FCAT testing and instead use testing as a tool to help find and solve problems, not as a punishment for students and schools.
* Direct our public school dollars so that they reach the students in the classrooms instead of for-profit corporations.
* Strengthen the quality of instruction by finding ways to attract and retain the best teachers.
* Develop creative, well-rounded students who do better in the long run by embracing the arts, athletics and music in our schools.