I firmly believe that all people are created equal, and should be treated with equal rights. As an Allentown City Councilmember, I was proud to co-sponsor legislation that made Allentown the 4th municipality in Pennsylvania to provide domestic partner benefits for city employees. This law makes Allentown competitive in attracting and retaining a top-talented workforce at a next-to-nothing cost.
As State Representative, I promise to:
* Support legislation that will make it illegal to discriminate against people based on their sexual orientation or gender identity/expression in housing, employment, education, or public accommodation.
* Support anti-bullying legislation that will protect youth in our public schools. Current laws do not go far enough to have any effect on our schools, and it does not specifically address the recent surge in bullying against LGBT youth, who are disproportionately affected by bullying.
* Support the reenactment of a Hate Crimes law that will increase sentencing for offenders who are motivated by hatred against minorities.
* Support legislation that gives same-sex couples the same rights that my wife, Brenna, and I enjoy. I unequivocally support marriage equality and will work towards that goal. Until that day comes, I will support efforts to advance relationship recognition for same-sex couples in Pennsylvania.
* Join the legislature's LGBT Equality Caucus.