As Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu addressed the United Nations General Assembly today, U.S. Senator Kelly Ayotte (R-NH) highlighted a bipartisan resolution (S. Res. 574) she recently introduced with Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) calling for stronger UN sanctions against Iran.
This week, Iranian president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Israel would be eliminated - continuing a long history of Iranian calls for Israel's destruction. The resolution Ayotte is backing notes that Iran's repeated incitement to genocide against Israel violates the UN Genocide Convention, which prohibits "direct and public incitement to commit genocide."
"If Iran were to obtain nuclear weapons capability, it would be a national security disaster of the greatest magnitude for the United States, Israel, and the world. We cannot allow the world's worst state sponsor of terrorism to acquire the world's most dangerous weapon," said Senator Ayotte, a member of the Armed Services Committee. "A regime that calls for the annihilation of Israel, supports Hezbollah and Hamas, helps Bashar al-Assad murder his own people, and provides weapons to insurgents who kill our troops cannot be trusted with nuclear weapons."
S. Res. 574 calls on all UN member states to fully implement existing Security Council resolutions sanctioning Iran and to take additional stronger unilateral diplomatic and economic measures to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons. The resolution calls for the Security Council and all member states to consider targeted sanctions, travel bans, and other measures aimed at stopping Iran's incitement to hatred and genocide.
In addition to Ahmadinejad's inflammatory comments earlier this week:
* On August 2, 2012, Ahmadinejad stated that "anyone who loves freedom and justice must strive for the annihilation of the Zionist regime in order to pave the way for world justice and freedom";
* On August 17, 2012, Ahmadinejad gave a televised statement that "the Zionist regime and the Zionists are a cancerous tumor," and that "the nations of the region will soon finish off the usurper Zionists in the Palestinian land," contending that "with the grace of God and help of the nations, in the new Middle East there will be no trace of the Americans and Zionists";
* On February 3, 2012, Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei told an audience that "the Zionist regime is a real cancerous tumor that should be cut and will be cut, God Willing";
* On August 17, 2012, leader Ayatollah Ahmad Khatami, addressing worshippers at Tehran University, stated that "Zionists understand only the language of force" and claimed that "the Zionist regime will meet destruction through unity in the Islamic world";
* In 2009 and 2011 speeches before the General Assembly, Ahmadinejad insulted Israel, called into question its very existence, and denied the fact that there was a Holocaust.