As someone who's actually created jobs and launched a small business, I know first-hand what the state needs to do to move our economy forward. We've got to put the focus back on small businesses. For too long our economic policies have catered to big corporations while Main Street suffers. Major tax breaks were handed out to bio-tech, mutual fund and defense contractors, while small businesses were getting walloped with higher unemployment rates and health care premiums.
Small businesses are the backbone of our economy. They are also the ones that support our community, sponsor our little league teams and donate to local charities. We must do more to support them. As your next state representative I'll work to:
- Rein in health costs by allowing small businesses more flexibility to bargain for rates.
- Streamline state regulations and freeze unemployment insurance rates.
- Invest state funds in community banks that provide credit for small business and start-ups
- Make it easier to solve legal issues in small claims court or through mediation.
- Promote tourism, "buy-local" programs and our growing aquaculture industry.