Rep. Pete Olson (TX-22) today voted in strong support of legislation dedicated to increasing access to American energy and eliminating barriers to production. H.R. 4480, the Domestic Energy & Jobs Act is a package of seven bills promoting an American energy plan to reduce our reliance on foreign oil, as well as spur economic growth and job creation by increasing production on federal lands. It also protects American refineries by reducing unnecessary red tape and burdensome Obama Administration regulations. H.R. 4480 passed the House by a vote of 248 to 163.
Congressman Pete Olson said, "It's simple: producing more American energy will createhundreds of thousands of American jobs and bring billions in new federal revenue -- without raising new taxes -- to pay off our debt. The politicians and bureaucrats in the federal government need to have faith in the American people. The government must understand that it doesn't create a strong economy, but they can sure be a massive barrier to one. This legislation is a great start to reducing our reliance on foreign energy sources, creating American jobs, and stabilizing energy prices."
Energy production info by the numbers:
· 1 million: number of potential jobs in related industrial and manufacturing activity
· 600,000: Direct jobs in oil and gas production
· 64,800: Number of jobs that are sidelined because of BLM permits tangled in red tape
· 14: The percentage decrease in oil production on federally owned lands from 2010 - 2011
· 3: The current unemployment rate in North Dakota where domestic energy production is thriving