The City of Philadelphia is a great place to live, work and raise a family, but above all, our communities need to be safe. Through legislative initiatives and community partnerships with organizations like CeaseFire PA, I am working to tackle gun violence and to stop the proliferation of guns in our neighborhoods. I also continue to call on the Pennsylvania legislature to enforce existing gun legislation, increase penalties for people who commit gun violence, end straw purchases and close the Florida Loophole. My legislation (SB 622) will stop Pennsylvania residents who have been denied a license to carry a gun in Pennsylvania the ability to get one from another state. I am also:
* Sponsoring Caylee's Law, which mandates reporting after a child's death or disappearance;
* Creating an animal abuse registry; and
* Stopping deed theft.
Some of my recent successes include:
Obtaining a $100,000 state grant to help bring back the Philadelphia Police Mounted Unit. This private sector and Philadelphia Police Foundation partnership has restored a police unit that is not only vital to crowd control and public safety, but stands as a community ambassador of good will:
* Ensuring that those who enforce the law and prosecute crimes have the resources they need through increased funding for witness protection efforts and the Gun Violence Task Force
* Joining to unanimously approve Senate Bill 369 which provides relief to families of fallen first responders;
* As a member of Judiciary Committee, I held hearings to ensure that state police have the resources they need to quickly process DNA evidence and identify criminals
* Banning bath salts; and
* Secured grants to boost the volunteer fundraising efforts of many neighborhood public safety initiatives; for example, the South Street Police Mini Station and Victim Witness Service of South Philadelphia.