Today, U.S. Senator Herb Kohl announced that eleven higher education programs in Wisconsin will receive a total of $3,838,353 through the Department of Education's Upward Bound Program. Kohl has been a long time supporter of education funding. Recipients include:
- Marquette University - $623,347
- University of Wisconsin Superior - $250,000
- University of Wisconsin River Falls - $305,215
- University of Wisconsin Milwaukee - $444,128
- University of Wisconsin La Crosse - $420,258
- University of Wisconsin - $328,245
- University of Wisconsin Whitewater - $282,906
- University of Wisconsin Green Bay -- $321,054
- Beloit College - $338,200
- Forward Service Corporation Wautoma - $262,500
- Forward Service Corporation Shawano - $262,500
"It is not an easy journey from high school freshman to graduating college senior," Kohl said. "This funding helps students along the way by giving them access to resources that will help them receive a secondary education before entering the workforce."
The Upward Bound Program helps low-income, at-risk, and first-generation high school students learn the skills they need to graduate from high school and be successful in college. In addition to academic support, Upward Bound students benefit from mentoring and guidance through the college and financial aid application process.