Strict reform and enforcement must guide the immigration conversation in Congress. Strengthening immigration laws through reform necessarily includes addressing control over the border. This is obviously not only a matter of relieving our suffering economy, but it is a matter of national security and safety.
Reform also must include providing our law enforcement with the tools they need to enforce laws already on the books. Laws that everyone, immigrants and native-born alike, must follow and respect. Illegal immigrants should not reap the benefits of citizenship at the expense of the law-abiding taxpayer and I am committed to fight any effort or threat to weaken our already-troubled immigration system.
Meaningful reform is one that results in our various cultures joining under one great nation, not one that results in division by fear and insecurities. I have cosponsored the following legislation to strengthen our nation:
* H.R. 140, Birthright Citizenship Act
* H.R. 787, No Social Security for Illegal Immigrants Act
* H.R. 800, Jobs Recovery by Ensuring a Legal American Workforce Act
* H.R. 997, English Language Unity Act
* H.R. 1134, Enforce the Law for Sanctuary Cities Act
* H.R. 1299, Secure Border Act
* H.R. 1956, Refundable Child Tax Credit Eligibility Verification Reform Act
* H.R. 3842, To prohibit Federal funding for lawsuits seeking to invalidate specified State laws that support the enforcement of Federal immigration laws