Healthcare reform under President Obama fell victim to special interests, and failed to address the underlying causes of costs in the system. Tort lawyers, pharmaceutical and insurance companies tend to be major campaign donors to campaigns in order to protect their bottom lines. As an insulin-dependent diabetic for more than 40 years, Buddy understands the importance of a healthcare system that is affordable and provides the quality of care that people need. He is unwilling to accept campaign contributions that would keep him from being free to lead on healthcare reform.
* Buddy Roemer's healthcare reform would eliminate Obamacare, but keep insurance coverage of preexisting conditions.
* Any healthcare reform package has to include tort reform, which Buddy achieved as governor of Louisiana to successfully lower healthcare costs.
* Individuals must be allowed to buy insurance policies across state lines, eliminating pocket monopolies and increasing competition among providers.
* Pharmaceutical companies must be exposed to competition to lower prices.
* Providers should be incentivized to reduce costs by allowing them to keep 25 percent of their savings.