The right to bear arms is a political right designed to safeguard freedom so that no government can take away from you the rights which God has given you.
-- Newt Gingrich, NRA's Celebration of American Values Leadership Forum
We live in a time when international organizations and our own federal government are devoting significant efforts to eliminate the right of Americans to keep and bear arms. We must forcefully echo the Declaration of Independence and insist that the first duty of government is to provide for our safety. At the core of this is the Constitutional right of the people to provide for their own safety.
THE GINGRICH RECORD DEFENDING SECOND AMENDMENT RIGHTS:
* Newt has been a committed and vigilant defender of Second Amendment rights since first being elected by the people of Georgia's Sixth District in 1978.
* Newt is a Life Member of the National Rifle Association, and speaks regularly at the NRA's Annual Meeting. He received an A or A-plus rating from the NRA all ten terms that he served in the House of Representatives, and received the NRA's Defender of the Second Amendment award in 2010.
WHAT NEWT WILL DO ON DAY ONE:
* Instruct the Department of Justice and State Department to defend American sovereignty and block all international treaties that infringe on Second Amendment rights.
* Take immediate steps to decisively control the border so Mexican drug cartels are blocked from entering the United States.
* End all illegal gun exports to Mexico by the federal government.
* End the discriminatory treatment of firearms imports. If a gun can be legally made and sold in the United States, it should be importable from outside the United States.