U.S. Congressman Danny K. Davis issued the following statement on President Obama's state of the union address:
President Obama Can't Do It Alone
In his 2012 State of the Union Address President Obama outlined some worthy goals:
* An economy built on renewing American manufacturing and to make that happen a tax code which rewards companies for creating jobs here at home and penalizes companies for shipping jobs overseas; a national commitment to train millions of Americans with skills that will lead directly to jobs; a level playing field on international trade
* Recommitting our nation to a quality education for every child and to make that happen recognizing that we must have good teachers, we ensure that school district have the resources to stop laying off teachers; we must give schools the flexibility to teach with creativity and passion and stop teaching to the test, we must keep our children in school and end the epidemic of drop outs; we must make college affordable
* Implementing a comprehensive immigration plan
* Ensuring equal pay for equal work
* Streamlining government bureaucracy, eliminating unnecessary regulation and moving to smart regulation to prevent irresponsible behavior
* Supporting basic research to spur American innovation
* Transforming our energy infrastructure and to make that happen energy efficiency; renewable energy sources for long term energy independence; a commitment to fight climate change; ending subsidies for oil companies
* Using the money we are no longer spending on war to invest here at home on infrastructure
* Tackling the housing crisis to keep millions of American's in their homes and prevent foreclosures
* Requiring our big financial institutions to act responsibly, no more risky bets with customer deposits, no more bailouts, no handouts, no copouts
* Reforming our tax system so everyone pays their fair share; no more subsidizing millionaires, if you make more than $1 million you should not pay less than 30% in taxes and if you make less than $250,000 your taxes shouldn't go up
* Reinforcing Congressional ethics, no insider trading by Members of Congress; stop the lobbying by campaign contribution bundlers, break the log-jam on federal appointments to the courts and public service jobs by requiring a simple up or down vote within 90 days
* Remembering that no one built this country on their own; that this nation is great because we built it together, as a team.
These are goals that I share, that I have strived for in my time in the Congress. The President has called upon the Congress to work together to make these goals a reality, even in an election year.
Well, I'm on that team. Like the President, I will work with anyone and everyone to move our country forward, and like the President I will fight obstruction with action, and I will oppose any effort to return to the policies which bought on this economic crisis in the first place.
I have no doubt in my mind that we will thrive as a people, as a nation, that we will restore an economy where everyone gets a fair shot, and everyone does their fair share and everyone plays by the same rules and everyone's voice is heard equally in the halls of justice and in the halls of Congress. And I have no doubt in my mind that the ultimate guarantee of those values is the full participation of the American people over the coming year.