Search Form
First, enter a politician or zip code
Now, choose a category

Public Statements

Fincher Bill Honoring M.D. Anderson Passes Senate

Press Release

By:
Date:
Location: Washington, DC

Today, U.S. Representative Stephen Fincher (R-Frog Jump), praised the U.S. Senate passage of a bill he sponsored, H.R. 1264, to honor M.D. Anderson, by designating a square in Jackson, TN as the M.D. Anderson Plaza. The bill passed the House and the U.S. Senate and now awaits President Obama's signature.

Monroe Dunaway Anderson, or M.D. Anderson, is well known as a respected philanthropist, successful agri-businessman, and an admirable Tennessean. Mr. Anderson grew up in Jackson, TN, attended college in Memphis, and then returned to Jackson to work at the People's National Bank.

In 1904, Mr. Anderson joined the cotton trading venture; Anderson, Clayton, and Company. The corporation flourished worldwide due to the rising demand for cotton during World War I. The company moved the operations to Houston, Texas to enable better access to deep water shipping. In 1936, Mr. Anderson established the M.D. Anderson Foundation with $300,000 and an additional $19 million endowment upon his death in 1939. The Foundation's endowment money not only helped create the largest medical complex in the world, the Texas Medical Center in Houston, Texas, but also established the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, which is one of the world's most respected centers for cancer patient care, research, education, and prevention.

Fincher stated, "M.D. Anderson had a strong passion to find a cure for cancer. In addition to medical research, the M.D. Anderson Foundation has built libraries, auditoriums, college buildings, and a planetarium on the campus of Lambuth College in Jackson, Tennessee. We honor M.D. Anderson today because of his generosity and interest in bettering the lives of others."

H.R. 1264 designates the property between the United States Federal Courthouse and the Ed Jones Building located at 109 South Highland Avenue in Jackson, Tennessee as the "M.D. Anderson Plaza." The bill also authorizes the placement of a historical/identification marker on the grounds recognizing the achievements and philanthropy of M.D. Anderson.


Source:
Skip to top
Back to top