Governor Bob McDonnell will host the 2011 Governor's Transportation Conference, themed Virginia - The Gateway to the World. The conference will be held Dec.7 through Dec. 9 at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott Hotel, 235 E. Main Street in Norfolk, Virginia. Governor McDonnell will be joined by Transportation Secretary Sean T. Connaughton, Federal Highway Administrator Victor Mendez and numerous transportation, government and legislative leaders to discuss Virginia's transportation projects and programs, as well as upcoming transportation and legislative initiatives.
"This is an exciting time for transportation in Virginia. With our nearly $4 billion transportation plan advanced by the General Assembly earlier this year, the public and private sector are working together to make critical investments in Virginia's roads, rail, transit, port, aviation and spaceport," said McDonnell. "These investments will chart Virginia's future, benefiting commuters and creating jobs, economic development and enhancing the Commonwealth's competitive edge in the global economy. We welcome participants and guests alike to this event in one of Virginia's premier transportation centers."
The conference will feature sessions on:
* Projects of statewide and regional significance
* Launching the future from Virginia's commercial spaceport
* The importance of multimodal transportation to Virginia's global competitiveness
* Creating connections through transportation choices
* DMV as a gateway to service
* Advancing the transportation program through VDOT's new business plan
* Virginia's global aviation access
* Alternative fuel infrastructure in Virginia
* 2012 transportation funding and legislative initiatives
On Dec. 6, the Inaugural Virginia Freight Transportation Summit will be held at the Norfolk Waterside Marriott Hotel. In addition, the Commonwealth Transportation Board and other committee meetings will be conducted during the week. Tours will be held of the new Norfolk Light Rail, the APMT Portsmouth Marine Terminal, the new Jordan Bridge and the Midtown/Downtown Tunnels project. Static displays will also be featured at an outdoor and indoor "Transportation Village."
The governor will speak to the conferees on Thursday, Dec. 8. The full agenda and registration can be found at: www.vatransconf.org.