* Ms. LINDA T. SÁNCHEZ of California. Mr. Speaker, I rise today to introduce a bill the Vet Success Enhancement Act of 2011.
* This bill renews and extends the solemn promise we have made to our veterans. It will allow our wounded warriors a greater chance to prepare for, find and keep suitable jobs through apprenticeships, vocational counseling and general career services.
* Currently, many veterans miss their window of opportunity to enroll in the VetSuccess program. Many veteran service organizations have come before the Committee on Veterans Affairs and testified that the current cut-off period does not adequately provide disabled veterans sufficient time to enroll in the program.
* Therefore, I am introducing this legislation to extend the eligibility period by 3 years. It is my hope that this additional time will allow our disabled veterans the time they need to complete training that allows them to reenter the workforce.
* Disabled veterans have paid a steep price in their service to our country. The least we can do is fix a legislative technicality which would ensure that our service men and women are able to benefit from this important program that allows them to return to productive civilian life.
* Mr. Speaker, it is our duty to ensure that our wounded warriors are given the opportunity to succeed here at home. I strongly believe that participation in the VetSuccess program can help put veterans on a meaningful path to success. I urge our colleagues to join me in supporting our veterans.