I am a strong supporter of those who dedicate their lives to serve and protect America. This week, we passed legislation that will help servicemembers, veterans, and their families receive the assistance they deserve from the federal government.
These bills will protect military families from foreclosure and provide for a fundamentally safer Veterans Administration (VA) health care system. The Veterans' Benefits Act will increase accountability and expertise in the VA disability compensation claims process. While, the Veterans Opportunity to Work Act will provide our veterans with the qualifications they need to find employment and give American businesses an opportunity to put our able bodied veterans to work. The following VA-related bills were passed by the House of Representatives this week:
* H.R.2433, Veterans Opportunity to Work Act of 2011
* H.R.2074, Veterans Sexual Assault Prevention and Health Care Enhancement Act
* H.R.2302, a bill to direct the Secretary of the VA to notify Congress of conferences sponsored by the Department of Veterans Affairs
* H.R.2349, Veterans' Benefits Act of 2011
* H.R.1263, a bill to amend the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act to provide surviving spouses with certain protections relating to mortgages and mortgage foreclosures
* H.R.1025, a bill to recognize the service in the reserve components of certain persons by honoring them with status as veterans under the law