* Mrs. SCHMIDT. Mr. Speaker, I rise today to recognize an extraordinary memorial built in Israel in honor of the victims of the September 11th attacks.
* On the 10th anniversary of the September 11th attacks, hundreds gathered just outside of Jerusalem to dedicate the 9/11 Living Memorial. This memorial, commissioned and built by the Jewish National Fund-USA/Keren Kayemeth LeIsrael, was designed by Israeli artist Eliezer Weishoff. It depicts a beautiful 30 foot high bronze American flag which rests on a granite base partially composed of metal from the World Trade Center towers and features the name of every victim of the attack.
* Honored guests included my colleague, Congressman Henry Waxman, U.S. Ambassador Dan Shapiro, Former Prime Minister Ehud Olmert, and my friend, Stan Chesley, President of the Jewish National Fund.
* While those tragic events occurred here at home, it is important to remember that there were victims from more than 90 countries, including five Israeli citizens.
* This memorial will act as an important reminder of the need to remain committed in the fight against terrorism, and why Israel continues to remain one of our strongest allies.
* Mr. Speaker, I urge my colleagues to join me in thanking Israel for this thoughtful memorial.