* Mr. FILNER. Mr. Speaker, thousands of Iranian-Americans from 41 states across America attended a rally outside the Department of State on August 26, 2011, calling on the Secretary to remove the principal Iranian opposition movement, the Mujahedin-e Khalq (MEK) from the list of Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTO).
* Mrs. Maryam Rajavi, President-elect of the National Council of Resistance of Iran, which acts as Iran's Parliament-in-exile, addressed the rally via satellite from Paris. Excerpts of her remarks follow:
* Honorable and brave Iranians, I salute your protest and gathering, which symbolizes an uprising for the freedom of the Iranian people and in defense of the persecuted and besieged Ashraf; an uprising against a discredited label against the Iranian Resistance. Today, your calls echo the calls for justice emanating from an enchained nation, which rejects the velayat-e faqih (absolute clerical rule) dictatorship. Ashraf is proud to have such admirable representatives and defenders like you; And the Iranian people are proud to have stored in your being the most prized possession required for the attainment of freedom and democracy.
* Dear Compatriots, It has been more a year since the ruling of the U.S. Court of Appeals in Washington, which ordered the State Department to review the terrorist listing of the People's Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK). The Iranian people and the Iranian Resistance have paid the price for this unjustified delay with the blood of their most courageous children. Political prisoners in Iran, like Ali Saremi, were hanged by Khamenei's henchmen. And, the 36 heroes of freedom in Ashraf, who were martyred on the orders of the velayat-e faqih regime, were all part of this bloody price. The terror listing in the U.S. is openly used as a justification to legitimize such bloodletting, both by the cruel mullahs in Tehran as well as their proxy government in Iraq. Therefore, the Iranian people are asking the United States, ``Why are you not annulling the license to kill our children?''
* The decision of the appeals court in Washington stated that the State Department violated due process rights during the listing process. And, 20 judgments by European courts against the terrorism charge leave absolutely no doubt that this label is completely discredited. Thousands of parliamentarians and human rights advocates in the Arab world and in Europe, joined by a large number of members of the U.S. House of Representatives and Senate, forming a great global voice in defense of the freedom-loving Iranian Resistance. This constitutes an exceptional consensus in the face of 14 years of injustices committed against the PMOI and the Iranian Resistance. Dozens of the most honorable former senior officials serving in the country's administrations over the last two decades have taken a clear stance in the course of their multiple international conferences in Washington, Brussels, Paris, Berlin, London and Rome, leaving absolutely no credibility for this listing. Hail to their sense of justice and clear-sightedness through which the great historical symbols of America like Jefferson and Lincoln are resurrected.
* We have seen how the mullahs' regime and the insignificant factions directed by Tehran utilize cruelty and insolence to attack and avenge these dignified personalities. But, these officials have shown extraordinary courage by placing their credibility and political reputation in support of this Resistance. We recognize the United States in the image of these noble human beings and not those who have succumbed to religious fascism. They represent an America that recognizes democracy and human rights in Iran as the precondition for global peace and security and guarantor of the American people's genuine interests. This is the United States that is standing by the Iranian people. For the past 170 days, your courageous and resilient friends have staged a sit-in across from the State Department. They echo the Iranian nation's call for the upholding of justice for the protection of Ashraf and removal of the PMOI from the terror list night and day, both under the summer heat and the winter chill.
* Letters from more than 800 religious leaders and 2,000 priests across the U.S. in support of this Resistance. Thirteen hearing sessions in the U.S. House and Senate to pursue the issue of protecting Ashraf and annulling the discredited terror label against the PMOI Passing of multiple resolutions in Congress, and especially the amendment passed by the House Foreign Affairs Committee last month about the imperative to prevent the displacement of Ashraf residents inside Iraq And thousands of political, parliamentary, media and social initiatives, all of which have inspired the admiration of everyone. The evil forces that have laid a siege on your sisters and brothers in Camp Ashraf seek to destroy and annihilate Ashraf and its freedom-seeking residents. But, you have spread the flames of Ashraf in your society and hoisted its flag. Hold onto this flag more powerfully, because this is the banner of freedom and democracy in Iran.
* Clearly, the U.S. bears special responsibility for ensuring the protection of these residents on the basis of its agreements with every single one of the residents in Camp Ashraf. We urge the U.S. to listen to Congress and the resolution passed by the House Foreign Affairs Committee, and abandon the idea of displacing Ashraf residents within Iraq. We call on the U.S. to support the European solution instead of this dangerous idea which will have no results other than a humanitarian catastrophe. Similarly, we want the United Nations to rise up to its irrevocable obligations in ensuring the protection of Ashraf .....