Search Form
First, enter a politician or zip code
Now, choose a category

Public Statements

Providing For Consideration of H.R. 5025, Transportation, Treasury, and Independent Agencies Appropriations Act, 2005

By:
Date:
Location: Washington, DC


PROVIDING FOR CONSIDERATION OF H.R. 5025, TRANSPORTATION, TREASURY, AND INDEPENDENT AGENCIES APPROPRIATIONS ACT, 2005 -- (House of Representatives - September 14, 2004)

Mr. REYNOLDS. Mr. Speaker, by direction of the Committee on Rules, I call up House Resolution 770 and ask for its immediate consideration.

BREAK IN TRANSCRIPT

Mr. ANDREWS. Mr. Speaker, I thank my friend for yielding me time.

I wanted to set the record straight, Mr. Speaker, on this discussion of taxes that we keep hearing about, my friend from Wisconsin, when he raised taxes. And he can correct me if I am wrong about this, but every time he has attempted to make an amendment in order on these appropriations bills, in committee and here, and when he was permitted to have an order, a vote that would have amended the budget resolution, every time, if I am not mistaken, the bottom 99 percent of American families would not have had their taxes raised at all.

Mr. Speaker, I ask the gentleman from Wisconsin (Mr. Obey) if that is correct.

Mr. OBEY. Mr. Chairman, will the gentleman yield?

Mr. ANDREWS. I yield to the gentleman from Wisconsin.

Mr. OBEY. Mr. Speaker, that is absolutely correct. The majority knows it but they try to hide it at every opportunity because they do not have the guts to take the issue on directly.

Mr. ANDREWS. Reclaiming my time, it is also my understanding that to the extent that we have talked about restoring the tax rates that were in effect in 2001, a tax code which by the way created 22 million new jobs in the last decade, that the gentleman from Wisconsin's (Mr. Obey) proposal simply reclaimed a portion of the tax cut that people in that top 1 percent would have received.

In other words, even under the gentleman from Wisconsin's (Mr. Obey) proposals, they would get a tax cut because the amount reclaimed was less than the amount received.

Mr. Speaker, I ask the gentleman from Wisconsin (Mr. Obey) if that is correct.

Mr. OBEY. Mr. Speaker, will the gentleman yield?

Mr. ANDREWS. I yield to the gentleman from Wisconsin.

Mr. OBEY. Mr. Speaker, that is also absolutely correct.

Mr. ANDREWS. Mr. Speaker, I also want the RECORD to reflect this choice: As our constituents sit in traffic tonight, as they cannot get home because of suburban sprawl and the lack of mass transit, as they cannot deal with the many, many problems they have, the majority has made a choice and its choice is a huge tax reduction for the top 1 percent of the people in the country or an honest choice which we would make which we would say, the top 1 percent could do without that huge tax reduction. Let us not raise taxes on the other 99 percent and meet the needs of this country.

That is the real choice. I understand why the majority wants to obscure it because they are making the wrong choice.

BREAK IN TRANSCRIPT

Skip to top
Back to top