I have been a strong supporter of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community throughout my career in public service.
* I am proud to be among the growing ranks of House Members who support full marriage equality for same-sex couples.
* I have authored legislation to expand the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) to provide couples in domestic partnerships, civil unions and same-sex marriages with all of the benefits offered by the FMLA.
* I am a strong supporter of anti-discrimination measures against GLBT Americans, including the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA).
* I am an original co-sponsor of H.R. 2517, The Domestic Partnership Benefits and Obligations Act of 2009, which would provide the same benefits to domestic partners that spouses of federal employees currently receive.
* I strongly supported and spoke on the House floor on behalf of my colleague Tammy Baldwin's (WI-2) effort to include legal protections for transgender persons in ENDA.
* In Congress, I have been an outspoken critic of efforts to advance a constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage, and have voted against all such efforts as well as against the so-called Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA). I was a cosponsor of Rep. Nadler's "Respect for Marriage Act of 2009" which repeals DOMA.
* I support allowing persons to serve in the armed forces without regard to their sexual orientation and support a full repeal of the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy that prohibits openly gay, lesbian and bisexual servicemen and women from serving in the military. I recently co-signed a letter to President Obama requesting an immediate suspension of DADT and am an original co-sponsor of the Military Readiness and Enhancement Act which would repeal the measure legislatively.
* I introduced the first domestic partnership legislation in New York State history in 1986 when I served as a New York City Councilwoman.
* I was proud to cast one of the decisive votes in the New York City Council to enact New York City's historic landmark gay and lesbian rights law in 1986.