The most important unit of society is the family.
They say that a society will be judged by how it treats its weakest members. We have a fundamental and moral obligation to defend the unborn, beginning at conception. I believe that:
* All human life is sacred.
* The government should not sanction abortion at home or abroad through the use of federal tax dollars.
* The government should not dedicate any taxpayer funds to abortion providers.
* Health care providers should be guaranteed conscience protection rights.
* The federal government should only promote ethical stem cell research that uses mature stem cells exclusively.
It is imperative that we restore the sanctity of human life in our country. It is my goal to see the right to life of the unborn upheld in our laws. There are alternatives to abortion, including adoption. My wife and I are the proud parents of four adopted children, two from the United States and two from Haiti.
As it relates to marriage, I firmly believe that marriage should be between one man and one woman only. I was the proud sponsor of the Kansas Marriage Amendment, which passed overwhelmingly and with record turnout in 2005, and I will continue to defend traditional marriage here in Washington. It is unconstitutional for the President and his administration to usurp Congress and declare that they will not defend the Defense of Marriage Act, a law signed by Democrat President Bill Clinton.
Families are the core units of society, with parents and other adults responsible for passing on the values which have made American life so successful throughout our history. To ignore the role of marriage and family in the vitality of the U.S. undermines our culture.