* Mr. Speaker, I rise today to pay tribute to Tom Brian, former Chair of the Washington County Board of Commissioners. Chair Brian retired after 12 years with Washington County, Oregon, and more than 30 years of service to our community.
* Tom embarked on an exemplary term as Chair of the Washington County Commission in 1998. Over the next 12 years, Tom spearheaded numerous projects, including the establishment of L.L. ``Stub'' Stewart State Park and the opening of the Westside Express Service (WES) Commuter line. Tom was a noted listener and consensus builder who focused on the needs of his constituents and worked tirelessly to address their issues. He approached his work with integrity and a true sense of dedication.
* Tom's foresight helped make Washington County an attractive place to live and do business. His leadership on projects like the Scoggins Dam raise will be missed. Tom has encouraged and empowered his community to continue the work he started and I know his spirit of service will continue to inspire all citizens of Washington County.
* Former Oregon Governor Tom McCall said, ``Heroes are not giant statues framed against a red sky. They are people who say, this is my community, and it is my responsibility to make it better.'' Tom Brian truly is an American hero, for he has devoted much of his life to making his community better.
* It is an honor to recognize Chair Brian for his service and for providing a heroic example to us all.