Jobs: Build a Strong West Virginia Economy
We will tear down the rules of the old economy and build the strongest, smartest infrastructure possible for the new economy of West Virginia. We don't have to do things the same old way. West Virginians deserve better. When I became Secretary of State, I didn't just settle for seeing things done the same old, wrong way. I saw that our businesses were struggling so I cut the unnecessary red tape to make it easier for small business owners to do what they do best -- make money and create jobs.
* We will get our people back to work in jobs with dignity and a good wage. I will fight every day to make sure West Virginia is the best place in the country to do business whether you're a small business or a large manufacturer. We have the best workers from Marion County, to McDowell, to Morgan County and they deserve the best jobs.
* We will be aggressive in moving our economy forward by investing in biosciences, research and development, innovation for long-term technological advancement.
* We will expand Internet broadband access to all corners of West Virginia, using the federal stimulus funds that have already been allocated for this effort. Empowering our businesses to use the Internet is critical to West Virginia leading in the 21st Century economy.
* We will continue our commitment to an energy-based economy and our coal and natural gas industries. We will also look to innovation to keep our economy moving forward by investing in clean coal technologies and other alternative energy sources.
* We will ensure our small businesses stay in the business of doing business by opening up lines of credit, cutting red tape and training our entrepreneurs to use technology to spur new ideas and grow their business.
* We will reignite our tourism efforts through new branding of West Virginia. We can bring more vacationers to West Virginia and create jobs.