Friday, Congressman Stephen Fincher (R-TN), sought out new Tennessean ideas, concepts, and means to increase the impact of federal transportation dollars at listening session he hosted withTransportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman, John Mica, Committee members Congressman Jimmy Duncan (R-TN) and Congressman Steve Cohen (D-TN), and industry stakeholders.
Congressman Fincher stated, "Chairman Mica is doing an incredible job crisscrossing the country gathering new ideas on how to do more with less federal transportation dollars." Fincher continued, "Our Tennessee transportation stakeholders did a tremendous job in highlighting ideas and needs to Chairman Mica."
Fincher stated, "For far too long government has been inefficient with the federal dollar. Many transportation projects are held up by bureaucratic hoops, time-consuming government requirements, and endless paperwork." "To get our economy moving in the right direction our government must change and do better." "We must make better investments with our federal dollars to enable efficiencies, synergies, and maximum job growth."
The listening session was held at Millington City Hall and was part of a series of cross-country Committee meetings with transportation stakeholders and state and local officials. The roundtable discussion helped inform the Committee on innovative ideas for the development of a long-term, job creating reauthorization of the nation's highway, transit, and highway safety programs.
The participants included:
* Paul Degges, Chief of Engineering, Tennessee Department of Transportation
* Senator Jim Tracy, Chairman, Tennessee State Senate Transportation Committee
* Stan Bass, President of Midsouth and Southwest Divisions of Vulcan Materials
* Sonny Dement, Owner of Dement Construction Company
* Mike Eubanks, Owner of Eubank Asphalt Paving and Sealing, Inc
* John Dudas, Vice President and Director of Strategic Planning, Belz Enterprises
* Bill Logue, President and Chief Executive Officer, FedEx Freight
* Arnold Perl, Chairman of Memphis Shelby County Airport Authority
* Pete Daley, President and Chief Executive Officer of Sherman Dixie Concrete Industries
Congressman Fincher is a member of the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee.