Congresswoman Mazie K. Hirono (D-Hawaii) today announced her committee assignments for the 112th Congress. Congresswoman Hirono will continue to serve on the House Committee on Education and the Workforce and the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure.
Congresswoman Hirono has served on both committees since 2007, following her election to her first term in the U.S. House of Representatives. The Republican leadership has reduced the size of committees and minority members (Democrats) obtained far fewer seats than the majority. Hirono has been able to keep both committees because of the seniority she has earned over the past four years.
"Jobs and education are two of my highest priorities," said Hirono. "I feel very fortunate to have retained membership in these two major committees. Education is critical to developing the workforce Hawaii needs to create a more diversified and resilient economy. Investments in transportation and infrastructure provide good jobs, improve the quality of life for our citizens, and strengthen our economy."
During organization meetings today, Congresswoman Hirono was appointed to serve on the following subcommittees:
Education and the Workforce
· Subcommittee on Early Childhood, Elementary, and Secondary Education -- jurisdiction includes early learning through high school level, Native Hawaiian Education, Head Start, school lunch and child nutrition programs, school safety, alcohol and drug abuse prevention, vocational education and more
· Subcommittee on Workforce Protections -- includes wages and hours of workers, including the David-Bacon Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, workers' compensation, Family and Medical Leave Act, and more
Transportation and Infrastructure
· Subcommittee on Highways and Transit -- jurisdiction includes Federal Aid Highway program, public transit programs, highway safety, commercial motor carrier regulation and safety, and more
· Subcommittee on Aviation -- includes all matters relating to civil aviation, including airport improvement program, aviation security, aviation noise; economic regulation of airlines, Federal Aviation Administration, and the National Transportation Safety Board
· Coast Guard and Maritime Transportation -- includes all matters relating to the Coast Guard and the Maritime Administration, including ports, passenger vessels, international maritime activities and intermodal transportation