Combating Rising Insurance Rates
While our community has not felt the physical effects of a Katrina devastation, the financial toll of past hurricanes continues to have a lasting impact on the economic security of South Floridians.
* I voted in favor of the Homeowner's Defense Act which is designed to address the mounting crisis in the availability and affordability of homeowner's insurance. This legislation establishes a national catastrophe fund, in order to stabilize the disaster insurance market by expanding private industry's ability to cover natural disasters.
* I voted in favor of the Flood Insurance Reform and Modernization Act, legislation to expand the availability and coverage of flood insurance policies operated under the National Flood Insurance Program.
Improving Hurricane Tracking Capabilities
I co-authored the National Hurricane Research Initiative Act, a comprehensive hurricane research bill which will improve hurricane research dramatically in the United States. The bill authorizes billions in critical hurricane research funding to help scientists study and better understand how hurricanes form and intensify, as well as boost early warning systems, improvements to infrastructure durability, and hurricane tracking and prediction capabilities.
Hurricane Preparedness Links
We are all aware that hurricanes are a constant threat to our community. It is a necessity for all of us in South Florida and the Keys to be prepared for hurricane season. It is one of my greatest concerns that you have the information that you need to in order to get ready. Below I have compiled information and links that your family and business will find useful for preparation before a storm and sites where you can find help after a storm. Please feel free to contact my office if you have any questions regarding the following information or if you need any help.
* The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) plans, manages, and sustains the coordinated national response to natural disasters such as hurricanes. They will be in contact with local emergency teams in order to reach every community in the country.
* The Florida State Emergency Response Team (SERT) responds directly to the Florida Governor and coordinates disaster preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation programs within the state.
* The Miami-Dade County Emergency Operations attempts to lessen the impact of natural disasters like hurricanes by meeting the needs of the community through planning, response and coordination of information and resources.
* The Monroe County Emergency Operations coordinates local efforts to plan for and respond to natural disasters that may affect the local community. This website will give you access to community information and advice on planning.
* The National Weather Service website gives you access to up to date information on weather changes provided by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. This website is an excellent resource to track incoming storms.
* The American Red Cross in Miami helps to prepare, shelter, feed, and guide people affected by disasters. They will set up evacuation centers and shelters for people who must leave their homes because storms. For up to date information on the location of evacuation centers call 1-800-RED-CROSS.
* The Small Business Administration helps small business owners prepare for natural disasters and get back to business after natural disasters strike. This website will give you the necessary information as a small business owner to prepare and recover from storms.
* The Florida Power and Light is an important resource for preparing your house or business for the storms affects on the electricity. The website has useful guides for what your family or business should do before and after storms hit.
* The Florida Keys Aqueduct Authority (FKAA) coordinates efforts in emergency preparedness and recovery for the aqueducts in the Keys. They FKAA also release up to date notices on water safety in the Keys.
* The Department of Health and Human Services helps prepare people for illnesses they may experience due to hurricanes in your area. It also has information to help your family cope with losses caused by the hurricanes.