* Mrs. BONO MACK. Mr. Speaker, I rise today to reject the notion that Big Government Knows Best. Call me old fashioned, but I still believe Father Knows Best. My dad was a physician who cared deeply about his patients. Working together, they decided what treatment options made the most sense--not some bureaucrat who has a degree in political science or philosophy and punches a time clock.
* That's the biggest problem with this law: It empowers the federal government ..... but not patients.
* Let's start over. Let's take the best ideas from both parties and do it right this time. We agree: patients should not be denied insurance because of pre-existing conditions and our kids should be able to keep their family insurance until they're 26. But these kind of commonsense reforms don't require $570 billion in new taxes.
* Under the new law, Big Government does--what Big Government Knows Best--raise taxes. There's a Health Insurance Tax, the so-called Cadillac Tax, and a big increase in the Medicare Payroll Tax. There are also hidden taxes and costly mandates for not complying with Big Government Knows Best.
* Enough already. Let's kick the bureaucrats out of the waiting room and call the doctor. Let's do what's really best for American patients. Start over.