Our founding fathers built this country on a system of checks and balances to ensure slow government growth and to prevent the domination of the majority. The citizens of this great country hold the ultimate power as they are the ones who elect their representatives and hold them accountable.
The metrics for accountability are often flawed. While those elected should be graded on how well they represent the people who put them in office, they are often graded on the number of bills passed, dollars spent, and programs they created.
Instead, Americans need to ask, "What has Congress done to ensure opportunity and to safeguard my liberty and the freedoms guaranteed to me in the Constitution?" As the new majority, we stand ready to be judged by this standard.
Over the past few weeks I have shared the Republican plan moving forward, 'A Pledge to America'. This document will serve as our promise for a government that is smaller, less costly, and more accountable. We are ready to move America forward, to get people back to work, and to stop the out-of-control spending that has put America in the position it is in today.
Part of this process is restoring checks and balances to the Congressional process that will put the priorities and rights of the American people at the top. To do this we will:
* Fight to ensure transparency and accountability in Congress and throughout government.
* Continue to fight the growth of government and oppose new stimulus spending.
* Fight efforts to fund the costly new health care law.
* Fight to increase access to domestic energy sources and oppose attempts to impose a national "cap and trade" energy tax.
* Fight for the rights of workers and oppose "card check" schemes that put Washington union bosses before individuals' rights to a secret ballot.
* Fight efforts to use a national crisis for political gain.
'The Pledge' is our promise to you, and moving forward as the new majority, is the standard by which we will abide. Please take a moment to share your thoughts with me on the Republican plan for checks and balances by leaving a comment on my blog.