In addition to Senator Garagiola's efforts in renewable energy and energy conservation he has been a staunch advocate for the environment. In 2006 and 2010, Senator Garagiola was endorsed by the Maryland League of Conservation Voters and he has sponsored or cosponsored legislation to:
* Maintain and expand mass transit.
* Support Smart Growth development.
* Tougher motor vehicle standards for global warming and other tailpipe emissions (Clean Cars Act).
* Reduce statewide greenhouse gas emissions (Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reduction Act).
* Protect the Agricultural Reserve.
* Protect the Chesapeake Bay by creating a dedicated fund to further reduce nitrogen and phosphorus loading in the Bay by over 7.5 million pounds of nitrogen per year and over 260 thousand pounds of phosphorus per year (Chesapeake Bay Fund and Chesapeake Bay Nitrogen Reduction Act).