While federal law enforcement largely has jurisdiction over illegal immigration issues, Attorney General Van Hollen took a new approach to fighting crime perpetrated by criminal illegal aliens to take them off our streets and expedite their deportation.
Under J.B.'s leadership, the Department of Justice took the lead in participating in coordinated immigration enforcement activities with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). This relationship between the Department of Justice and ICE targets criminal illegal immigrants who are involved in violent crimes, drugs and gangs, who illegally re-enter the country, and who terrorize our communities.
Attorney General Van Hollen's record on Illegal Immigration:
* J.B.'s initiative with ICE has taken over 300 criminal illegal aliens off the streets.
* The Department of Justice (DOJ) is deepening its relationship with ICE to enforce criminal laws against illegal immigrants who are involved in drugs and gangs, who illegally re-enter the country, and who terrorize our communities.
* The Attorney General's office published and disseminated a legal guide to assist local law enforcement with handling the legal status of immigrants and how best to coordinate their efforts with ICE.
* The DOJ is encouraging all Wisconsin sheriffs to make a citizenship inquiry at every booking of suspected criminals.
* J.B. recently requested permission to file a legal brief to protect states' rights to fight illegal immigration but his request to support Arizona's immigration law was blocked by Governor Doyle.