Last week, additional provisions of The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act went into effect. This is the 2400 page bill that was passed under the instructions of Nancy Pelosi, who said "we have to pass the bill so that we can find out what is in it." Thanks to Nancy Pelosi and the people who approved the bill such as Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, we now know what is in the bill.
Obamacare has forced insurance companies to stop writing child-only policies. The National Review states, "Obamacare forces insurance companies to accept children who are already sick with pre-existing conditions on the same terms as healthy children, parents now have a strong incentive to wait until their children are sick to buy child-only policies, making the products a guaranteed money-loser for insurers, which are not in the business of guaranteeing losses to their investors and employees."
After meeting with Senate Democrats last December, President Obama said, "We agree on reforms that will finally reduce the costs of health care. Families will save on their premiums." An article in the Wall Street Journal last week proved this isn't the case. The article states, "In recent weeks, insurance companies have started mailing consumers letters informing them of double-digit rate increases starting this month."
Obamacare is also harmful to small businesses. Fran Becker states, "I believe it is necessary to repeal Obamacare because it is already killing job creation. Businesses will not hire additional employees if they will have to pay additional taxes for each employee they hire." He continues, "Carolyn McCarthy is out of touch with the people of New York's Fourth Congressional District. Voting for a bill without reading it is simply absurd."
Becker has a clear vision and plan that will help our country overcome its economic malaise. His Five Point Plan is as follows:
1. Reduce Spending to free up capital markets for private sector borrowing. This will create jobs and create an environment of economic growth and innovation. Start by eliminating so-called "stimulus programs" that create nothing sustainable.
2. Cut Taxes for New Businesses 2-5 years old. Cuts will be given as a refundable credit equal to the FICA tax on the first $50,000 of wages for all non-owner employees. This creates additional capital for survival, growth and expansion, fueling the nation's engine of economic growth.
3. Extend The Tax Cuts Set To Expire December 31, 2010 to keep the tax burden on our economy from increasing in this time of recession. If Congress fails to extend these cuts, we will face the largest tax increase in history.
4. REPEAL OBAMACARE which imposes taxes and fees on individuals, health insurance companies, medical equipment manufacturers and businesses. Businesses will not hire new employees if forced to pay additional taxes on each new employee hired.
5. Free Us From Foreign Energy Dependence by adopting an "all of the above" energy policy. By increasing our production of domestic energy sources, we will create productive jobs that will stimulate other sectors of our economy.
Fran Becker is the Republican candidate for New York's 4th Congressional District. He is running against incumbent Carolyn McCarthy (D-Garden City), who has held the seat for 14 years. Fran is a business owner, an employer, and a certified financial planner. Fran has the background, experience and qualifications to get the job done in Congress.