What Hank has done:
* Consistently opposed the Iraq War and supported removal of our forces from Iraq.
* As member of House Armed Services Committee, always voted to protect and support our Armed Forces.
* Cosponsored the successful legislation of the 9/11 Commission's official recommendations.
* Introduced and passed a resolution officially calling upon the warring parties in Uganda, the government of the United States, and the international community to work to peacefully resolve that country's brutal civil war.
* Voted to restrict "no-bid" defense contracts, by which politically-connected companies like Halliburton receive Pentagon contracts with no competition.
* Introduced legislation to establish a National Commission on Detainee Treatment to review United States policy regarding the capture, custody, treatment, judicial proceedings, and repatriation of suspected "unlawful enemy combatants."
* Co-authored legislation to impose sanctions on Iran's petroleum sector. It passed the House.
* Cosponsored the Iran Counter-Proliferation Act, which passed the House. It would sanction Iran for its failure to make good on its international legal commitments with regard to its clandestine nuclear program.
* Cosponsored the successful Darfur Accountability and Divestment Act, which states that it is U.S. policy to support state and local efforts to divest funds from, or restrict investments in, companies that conduct business operations in Sudan.
* Voted to increase U.S. funding for the global fight against diseases such as HIV/AIDS, TB, and malaria, which exacerbate global poverty, pose an international health risk, and undermine the stability of entire regions.
What Hank will do:
* Continue to support a tough, smart foreign policy focused on the maintenance of international stability via multilateralism and diplomacy.
* On the Armed Services Committee, oversee implementation of President Obama's Afghanistan policy, supporting a window of opportunity for the Administration to improve security and political conditions in Afghanistan.
* Continue to vocally support universal respect for fundamental human rights.
* From my post on the Armed Services Committee, work toward our self-extrication from the senseless war in Iraq.
* Support continued investment in the world's finest military to address the challenges of upcoming decades.
* Push for the closure of our detainment facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
* Vote for committing the United States to the global fight against famine and disease.