Smaller Class Sizes & Incentives for Teachers
I will fight for adequate appropriations for local school boards. This will ensure that we have the funding to hire more well qualified teachers, and the resources for them to provide high quality instruction to our youth.
· Implement a merit based program that links teacher service with money for graduate school. Current incentive based programs have drawn criticism because they link teacher salary and incentives to test scores. My program would be based on years of service in the public schools.
· Provide school boards and teachers with the flexibility to dispense the funds allotted to them in whatever areas they deem most necessary to meet the needs of our students. We want teachers to develop creative learning strategies, we need to provide them with adequate financial resources.
To complement Georgia's existing Pre-K program, I propose a program that offers year-round instruction to Georgia's 4-year olds.
PeachStart is necessary to combat the following issues parents and children face:
· Finding summer day care for 4-year children is often difficult because most educational programs do not allot space or learning materials for children not currently enrolled in their school.
· Summer day care costs create an added strain on the budgets of low and middle wage families, thereby creating additional financial hardship for parents.
· When 4 year olds do not attend Pre-K, the transition period between Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten can be traumatic and/or disruptive for many children; younger children need reinforcement during the summer for retention purposes.
PeachStart will help eliminate such problems because there is a zero transition period and zero cost to parents.