* Mr. SMITH of Texas. Madam Speaker, Arizona's pleadings in support of their immigration enforcement law include an important declaration by Harvard Economics Professor George Borjas.
* In his analysis of interstate wage trends from 1960 through 2006, Borjas found: ``that the presence of unauthorized aliens in the Arizona workforce reduced the earnings of low-skilled authorized workers in Arizona by 4.7 percent.
* Borjas says, ``The overall wage depression for all Arizona workers is approximately $1.4 billion.
* ``The evidence further indicates that the presence of unauthorized aliens in the Arizona workforce reduced the employment rate of Arizona's low-skilled authorized workers by 1.6 percent .....''
* This reinforces what we already know: the Obama administration's failure to secure the border and enforce our immigration laws means citizens and legal immigrants face higher unemployment and lower wages.