1. I support our state's commitment to quality education consistent with Republican values. I support public, private and home school educational opportunities for all students in South Dakota. I support a continuing emphasis on educational opportunity so South Dakota students can have the same knowledge and skill levels as the best students in the world. Education should remain among our highest priorities.
2. I recognize that good reading skills are key to success in life. I support improvements in reading programs at the lower grade levels as the foundation for all subsequent learning.
3. I support parental choice and local control in education in our state.
4. I affirm its commitment to a quality, safe educational environment conducive to learning, which is free of crime, violence, illegal drugs, alcohol and tobacco use.
5. I support state aid to education within the financial limits of the state of South Dakota.
6. I recognize that the economy of the 21st Century will require new skills and continuing education for people. I support a post-secondary technical and university system that will provide a quality education and job skills for all our citizens.
7. I recognize that ethnic harmony is an on-going concern in our multi-cultural state. I will support efforts to increase awareness of the rich and changing cultural diversity of South Dakota's citizens.
8. I support the teaching of the Mayflower Compact, the Declaration of Independence, the U.S. Constitution, the Federalist Papers and other important historical documents, as well as the teaching of World, American, South Dakota , and American Indian history, emphasizing the principles and values upon which our nation was founded. I also support the display of the Ten Commandments in our schools if the display conforms to our state laws.
9. I support the state's continuing efforts to supply and use technology in our schools. I support programs that give teachers, administrators and school specialists the special skills and technology they need for improving educational opportunities for their students.
10. I recognize the importance and value of the cultural, artistic and historical resources of South Dakota.