Michigan is hurting, so creating jobs that pay well is priority one. With 20 years of experience working in the private sector and a record of working for economic growth and new jobs as Speaker of the House, I know we can turn around Michigan's economy and create thousands of good paying jobs in this state. Here are just a few things we can do:
* Build upon our unique strengths - our research and development prowess, skilled workforce, advanced manufacturing expertise, industrial infrastructure, great universities and our agricultural and tourism industries.
* For the first time, coordinate the economic development activities of our local, regional and state economic development agencies.
* Direct state government to follow the examples of Dow Chemical, which invested in Midland to enhance the quality of life for its employees, and Ford Motor Company, which invested billions to improve its productivity and product lines.
* Enact the Hire Michigan First legislation that the House passed but the Senate refuses to take up.
* Andy Dillon opposes efforts to make Michigan a "Right to Work" state.