I believe the 71st district provides the greatest opportunity in the State of Indiana for growth in the foreseeable future. The River Ridge Commerce Center and the Clark Maritime Center are already bringing new businesses to Clark County each year. With the addition of the East End bridge, opportunities for growth will increase dramatically, especially in the Charlestown and Utica communities, and the leadership in Southern Indiana needs to have a plan of how best to manage and capitalize on that growth. The Clarksville area continues to thrive, as well, with successful new retail areas. The industrial and commercial development in Jeffersonville and the retail development in Clarksville complement each other and both bring needed jobs to the area.
These opportunities, and others, will require strong leadership, a clear direction and the ability to build consensus. Our full potential will only be realized when we work with each other, respect one another and have the willingness to listen to everyone's viewpoint. The citizens of the 71st district deserve to have a voice in Indianapolis that is representative of all of their concerns.
The following is a list of some other district issues and opportunities. You may have other issues not listed here that you would like to discuss with me. If so, please go to the Contact Steve page for contact information or complete the questions on the Your Opinion page.
As your 71st District State Representative, I will work to move these projects forward:
* Work on meaningful property tax reform that is fair to everyone
* Continue to represent Southern Indiana's interest in the Ohio River bridges project
* Fight for legislation to protect our children against pornography, drugs, internet and sexual predators
* Work with planning and zoning decision makers to ensure Southern Indiana is developed in an orderly manner
* Secure funding for infrastructure needs at the Clark Maritime Center
* Work with federal officials to provide funding for the development of River Ridge Commerce Center and the infrastructure needs
* Continue to push for higher standards in education and implement incentives and rewards for teachers who consistently exceed peer standards
* Support the expansion of the Clark County Regional Airport runway and control tower initiative
* Continue to work with the Army Corp of Engineers to see the continued transfer of property back to local control at River Ridge Commerce Center
* Work closely with local officials to ensure that everyone who wants to work is given a fair opportunity and that the required skill sets are taught for today's changing marketplace
* Develop with local officials 3 to 4 high impact legislative items that will improve the local economic success
* Partner with local business, education, government, media, health and community workforce officials to develop a 5, 10 and 15 year plan for the 71st District