Stewart believes that supporting new and alternative energy resources has multiple benefits: preserving our environment, improving our economy and reducing our dependency on foreign countries to name a few. In the State Senate he has already begun the work of supporting alternative energy and will continue to do so in the coming years.
* Passed the Alternative Energy Investment Act to boost renewable energy development and reduce energy consumption without imposing new taxes.
* Expanded the state Alternative Fuels Incentive Fund, and continued funding of the Hazardous Sites Cleanup Act through 2010-11.
* Supports environmentally responsible exploration of the Marcellus Shale which could provide hundreds of thousands of new jobs and billions of dollars for Pennsylvania's economy.
* Provided loans, grants and rebates of up to 35 percent of the purchase and installation costs of solar and solar photovoltaic panels.
* Provided consumer grants, loans, rebates and reimbursements for consumer energy conservation projects -- including solar, geo-thermal and wind projects.