"I am defined by my commitment to Service. I have always wanted to make a difference. I have sought opportunities in my life to serve as a Christian, Mom, Air Force member, and Attorney. I hope to make a difference on the Alabama Board of Education." -Mary Scott Hunter
Mary Scott Hunter's priorities for the Alabama Board of Education are:
* Traditional, rigorous education standards for K-12 and the two-year colleges --
* Emphasizing responsible textbook selection
* The fight for jobs -- Re-energizing technical education to provide hungry markets
* with the skilled workers they need
* The fight against corruption -- Protecting schools from union bosses and education
* Proration -- Stabilizing the education budget while maintaining and enhancing
* education initiatives
* The need to restructure tenure practices -- Protecting and rewarding exceptional
* teachers and giving them flexibility while adding the capability to affect fair personnel
* Charter schools -- Examining the successes in 36 other states and looking for ways
* to benefit Alabama through best practices.
As a proud product of Alabama public education, Mary Scott also has a vested interest in the strength of our education system with her first child in public kindergarten and her younger two close behind. She is committed to making the right decisions for education in District 8 and for the State of Alabama.