Pennsylvania is a state with a rich agricultural heritage, with many farms having stayed within the same family for generations. However, in many respects the traditional farming tradition is under siege. It is become increasingly difficult if not impossible for family farms to sustain themselves, with families many times having to work second and third jobs simply to continue their farming traditions. Additionally, many new agribusiness practices are destroying our soil and our environment, creating both short term and long term problems for our communities.
To sustain our rich agricultural heritage, Representative Conklin wants to:
* Foster and nourish an environment in which the family farm is protected.
* Establish and advance programs that put additional lands into Clean and Green so that we are not taxing family farms out of business
* Push for low interest loans and grant opportunities to help keep farming affordable
* Support new organic farming methods which help protect human health and don't contaminate our environment
* Support Penn State Agriculture Programs so that they can continue to do crucial research to protect our crops and increase yield.