A Record of Defending Taxpayers and Limiting Government
Rob Portman has always advocated a smaller, more responsive federal government that works for the people. During his sixteen years of public service, Rob has a record of fighting to reduce taxes, control government spending and create greater transparency for citizens.
A Tax Cutter
* Rob has consistently voted for lower taxes to spur economic growth and create jobs.
* He co-sponsored legislation to make permanent the tax reductions on investments and reduced tax rates for lower-income families.
* He co-sponsored legislation to permanently repeal the estate tax, commonly known as the Death Tax.
* Rob authored and passed the Principle Residence Exclusion Act, which eliminated any capital gains tax on the sale of a home for more than 90% of homeowners.
* Rob co-chaired the National Commission on Restructuring the IRS, which led to the creation of over 50 new taxpayer rights, simplified the tax code, and increased IRS accountability.
A Fiscal Conservative
* As a member of the U.S. House of Representatives, Rob co-sponsored legislation to amend the Constitution to require a balanced budget and worked hard to achieve the last balanced budget a decade ago.
* As the Director for the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), Rob continued his commitment by developing and submitting a balanced budget in 2007.
* Rob supported a Line Item Veto in Congress to get spending under control and took the lead as OMB Director in getting Line Item Veto legislation passed in the House in 2006.
An Advocate of Transparency for Citizens
* As Director of the OMB, Rob led a number of groundbreaking transparency efforts; including: assessing all federal government spending to determine whether the money was spent effectively and making results available for public viewing at www.ExpectMore.gov , making all Congressional justifications for agency budget public for the first time.
* Putting all Congressional earmarks online for the first time, leading to the establishment of an unprecedented government database that detailed more than 13,490 earmarks totaling more than $18.9 billion at www.earmarks.omb.gov.
* Put all federal government grants and contracts online for the first time at www.USAspending.gov.
Americans for Tax Reform Rating
* "Hero of the Taxpayer" award 10 times
* 92.42% Average over 12 years
Citizens Against Government Waste
* "Taxpayer Hero" award 10 times
* 84% Life Time rating; the second highest rating for the Ohio delegation
National Taxpayers Union
* "Taxpayers Friend" award 6 times