I am running to become a member of Congress not because it has been a lifelong ambition, but rather because I feel the experience and skills I gained as a legislator and business leader will allow me to have a positive impact in Washington. Today, our nation faces double-digit unemployment, massive deficit spending, and a skyrocketing national debt.
I have the business experience to understand how these policies affect job creation. I also have the legislative experience to move vital economic policies forward and to stop those policies which fail to create jobs while driving our Nation further into debt.
In my 25-year career as a legislator, I helped create policies which led to North Dakota's economic revival. I spearheaded legislation, which led to more good jobs in our state. And working with our Republican controlled legislature and Governor Hoeven, we created one of the best business climates in the country.
* $295 million in property tax relief for North Dakota homeowners, farmers, ranchers, and commercial business property owners.
* In 2008, North Dakota's economy grew 7.3%, the second fastest in the country.
* Unemployment in North Dakota is at 4.4%, less than half the national average.
* North Dakota is one of only two states with a budget surplus.
* North Dakota's per capita gross domestic product per capita has gone from 40th to 20th!
We need Washington to be more like North Dakota, and I intend to make it that way!
* I believe in a balanced budget and an end to runaway spending and deficits.
* I believe a common sense approach to healthcare reform.
* I believe in protecting our Second Amendment rights.
* I believe in a strong national defense and support for our men and women in uniform.
* I believe in the sanctity of life and I will support pro-life legislation in Congress.
* And I will make a strong national economy and job creation my top priority.
The bottom line is: We need Washington to be more like North Dakota, and I intend to make it that way! I support our second amendment rights. I support maintaining a strong national defense, and I am pro-life.