I'm the son of an immigrant. My mother came from Sweden with five sisters and two brothers and her mother. Her father had come earlier and started a farm and they were coming to join him -- after they had legally qualified.
My mother shared with us a story I will never forget: On the ship coming into Ellis Island, her mother gathered the family and said "From this point forward, I never want to hear another word of Swedish, we are Americans now.'
Immigration has to be addressed and addressed immediately. And it has to be limited to legal immigration. No excuse, no other circumstance, no other reason that allows illegal immigrants to stay in this country should be accepted.
No other country in the world allows illegal immigration and neither should the United States.
My record on immigration related issues has been strong and consistent. I voted to:
* Curb illegal immigration
* Expedite deportation
* Prohibit the payment of Federal benefits to illegal immigrants
* Prohibit illegal aliens from receiving direct federal benefits such as Social Security
* Add English competency to the qualifications for a new category of "independent" immigrants
* Hire more immigration officers
* Increase penalties on those who smuggle illegal workers
* Increase penalties for document fraud
* Establish pilot programs for worker verification
* Reimburse states for costs resulting from the Federal Government's failure to control our borders and curb illegal immigrants
* Reimburse States for the cost of incarcerating illegal aliens
* Impose an overall cap on immigration
* Exclude illegal immigrants in the Census count used for reapportionment
* Oppose the increase in the number of immigrants
* Oppose providing a temporary stay of deportation for certain eligible immigrants
The Obama Administration has made clear their desire to bring forward immigration legislation. I will work hard to fight against amnesty and keep our borders secure.