HON. JOE BACA
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
MONDAY, APRIL 26, 2010
* Mr. BACA. Madam Speaker, I rise to support the passage of the Comprehensive Iran Sanctions, Accountability and Divestment Act.
* The Government of the Islamic Republic of Iran, if allowed on its present course, is well on its way to obtaining nuclear capability. Experts say it could be in the possession of a nuclear weapon in less than a year.
* Since 1995, several U.S. regulations have been enacted to pressure Iran's economy, curtail its nuclear advancement and curb the government's support for jihadist militant groups. They have not been adhered to; no firms have yet been sanctioned.
* This legislation will pressure persons violating Iran Sanction acts and other accomplices of the National Guard in pursuing uranium enrichment and oppressing religious and human rights.
* Nuclear terrorism is one of the greatest threats to American security. Safeguarding nuclear materials from terrorists is absolutely critical to international peace and stability.
* This legislation provides the much needed teeth and Presidential authority necessary to deter this regime's nuclear intentions. Timing is crucial, for this reason it must be passed today.