or Login to see your representatives.

Access Candidates' and Representatives' Biographies, Voting Records, Interest Group Ratings, Issue Positions, Public Statements, and Campaign Finances

Simply enter your zip code above to get to all of your candidates and representatives, or enter a name. Then, just click on the person you are interested in, and you can navigate to the categories of information we track for them.

Public Statements

4/28/2010- Sires Votes To Save Taxpayer Dollars And Improve National Defense

Press Release

Location: Washington, DC

Today, Congressman Sires joined his colleagues in the House of Representatives in passing H.R. 5013, the IMPROVE Acquisition Act of 2010 (Implementing Management for Performance and Related Reforms to Obtain Value in Every Acquisition Act of 2010) by a vote of 417 to 3. This bill would address the current waste, fraud and abuse in the Department of Defense's acquisition system by improving the financial management system and the accountability system, reforming the acquisition workforce, increasing access to technology, and enhancing competition.

"This bill is a great victory for our troops and for our taxpayers. The IMPROVE Acquisition Act ensures that the country keeps on getting the goods and services it needs for a strong defense program, while saving the taxpayers an estimated $27 billion each year," said Congressman Sires. "With this vote, Congress is continuing to eliminate wasteful government spending."

Previously, Congress enacted legislation to reform the acquisition of weapons systems, which accounted for approximately 20 percent of the Department's acquisition spending. H.R. 5013 continues this initiative by reforming the remaining 80 percent of the acquisitions spending on non-weapons items. Specifically, this bill would create an accountability system with detailed standards and goals, a requirements process, and an evaluation taskforce. The legislation would also provide better training and tools to the acquisition workforce. The IMPROVE Acquisition Act is now pending consideration by the Senate.

Back to top