* Ms. MATSUI. Madam Speaker, I rise today to celebrate the 40th annual Earth Day.
* Each year Earth Day offers us an opportunity to reflect on the progress we have made toward protecting our environment and the work that we still need to do.
* Now more than ever, we have an historic opportunity to take action to limit the harmful effects of climate change and create the clean energy economy of the future.
* And there is no reason why America shouldn't be at the forefront of this new economy--and my hometown of Sacramento is helping to lead that effort.
* To date, our area has among the highest federal funding levels through the Recovery Act and other grants to support investments in clean-tech and energy efficiency projects, including SmartGrid.
* Madam Speaker, Sacramento's efforts are helping to lay the groundwork for renewed economic prosperity for our country, create good jobs, and will provide enormous benefits to our environment at the same time.