Rep. Ben Ray Luján highlighted the benefits in the health insurance reform legislation before Congress for New Mexico's 3rd Congressional District.
"Health insurance reform will have significant benefits for the people of New Mexico's 3rd Congressional District," said Rep. Luján. "Health insurance reform will improve coverage for those with insurance, prevent insurance companies from denying care to those with pre-existing conditions, and improve prescription drug benefits for seniors. It's time to stand up to insurance companies and reform our broken health insurance system."
In New Mexico's 3rd Congressional District, the health care reform bill will:
* Improve coverage for 327,000 residents with health insurance.
* Give tax credits and other assistance to up to 163,000 families and 14,100 small businesses to help them afford coverage.
* Improve Medicare for 94,000 beneficiaries, including closing the donut hole.
* Extend coverage to 115,500 uninsured residents.
* Guarantee that 19,400 residents with pre-existing conditions can obtain coverage.
* Protect 600 families from bankruptcy due to unaffordable health care costs.
* Allow 52,000 young adults to obtain coverage through their parents' insurance plans.
* Provide millions of dollars in new funding for 60 community health centers.
* Reduce the cost of uncompensated care for hospitals and other health care providers by $40 million annually.