* Madam Speaker, I rise to join my colleagues in opposition to further restrictions on the constitutionally guaranteed right to abortion.
* Last night the other body wisely defeated an amendment mirrored on the Stupak language that would have gone far and away beyond the current Hyde Amendment restrictions on abortion law.
* That amendment, like the Stupak amendment we adopted in the House represented a blatant attack on women.
* It attempts to dictate how individual Americans can spend their own money. That is simply outrageous.
* The federal government has no place inserting itself between the medical decisions that a woman makes with her doctor.
* This is a democracy, not a theocracy. The religious views of some should not dictate public policy for all.
* We've got to follow the Senate's lead and strip the Stupak language from the final health reform bill and ensure that woman can exercise their right to seek an abortion.
* We cannot and should not compromise away the rights of women to win votes.
* We have already compromised far too much.