Berkley: Health Care Reform Package Will Expand And Protect Coverage For Nevada Families
Congresswoman Shelley Berkley spoke today from the House floor in support of legislation that will increase access to affordable health coverage for Nevadans and end the ability for insurers to exclude those with pre-existing medical conditions. The House is expected to pass The Affordable Health Care for America Act (HR 3962) later tonight.
"I rise today in support of this piece of legislation that will expand health care coverage to millions of my fellow Americans.
"The way we provide health care in this country is unsustainable. In Nevada the cost of a private family health insurance plan is expected to grow from over $11,000 in 2009 to more than $19,000 in 10 years from now. If we do nothing we will reach a point in this country where hardly anyone will be able to afford health insurance.
"This bill is good for Nevada. Over 400,000 uninsured Nevadans will be able to get health insurance because of this bill.
"This bill is good for Nevada seniors. it closes the doughnut hole, eliminates cost pays for preventive services and extends the life of Medicare over five years.
"The bill isn't perfect, doesn't contain a provision to protect bone density tests I fought for and doesn't fix the Medicare physician payment system and we must fix both, but I do support this for the needed reforms that are included. It's a great first step. Faye Schwartzer in Las Vegas, Nevada, this is for you."
The Affordable Health Care for America Act
If you have insurance, this bill:
* Keeps your insurance company from denying you care or coverage -- or charging you more -- because of diabetes, heart disease or any other "pre-existing condition."
* Gives you peace of mind that you won't lose coverage if you lose your job, move, or change jobs.
* Prevents insurance companies from dropping you because you get "too sick."
* Covers preventive care with no co-pays or deductibles.
* Limits out-of-pocket expenses your insurance company can make you pay.
If you don't have insurance, this bill:
* Lets you comparison shop for a quality, affordable health plan through a new health insurance exchange or marketplace.
* Offers you low group rates even for individual coverage.
* Helps lower your premiums with affordability credits for those who need help paying.
* Prevents any insurance company from denying you coverage for heart disease, diabetes or another "pre-existing condition."
* Extends coverage for young Americans, allowing them to stay on their parents' health insurance plans up to their 27th birthday if they choose.
* Includes a public health insurance option to compete on a level playing field with private insurers.
For our seniors, this bill:
* Strengthens Medicare, extending its solvency for years to come.
* Improves access to your doctor.
* Lowers Medicare drug prices by beginning to close the coverage gap or "donut hole" immediately.
* Reduces inefficiencies and program costs to help Medicare remain solvent without cutting benefits.
* Improves coordination and increases the quality of care for seniors with diabetes, high blood pressure, and other chronic conditions.